Saturday, January 10, 2009

Local Nectar: Vigo County Public Library

I cannot sufficiently put into words how much I love the public library system. I was that kid who read all of the books in our small local branch and then got told by the librarian that I should try the main branch downtown, a four-story mecca of knowledge in the heart of Cincinnati. I was instantly smitten and still am. From huge university libraries to little local branches in strip malls, libraries make me believe that there is something right with the world.

I recently read A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Baez. It is one of the saddest books I have ever read — as centuries pass, libraries full of irreplaceable bits of human knowledge burn like dry leaves in summer, on accident or, worse, on purpose.

There are more subtle ways to destroy a library. In Vigo County, the public library recently realized it needs to cut $1 million from its budget. This means branches may close, hours may be cut, etc. This irks me. Last week when I was in the West Terre Haute branch, a narrow little structure that might be up for closure, a librarian and a pre-teen were huddled over a large dictionary. Upstairs, local residents were studying for the GED exam. On a frigid January day, a bike was leaning on the side of the building outside. This is the kind of institution that needs to exist in communities.

(There are two community meetings planned to discuss the future of the library, to be held at the main branch on January 21 and 22. More information about the VCPL Budget Shortfall Public Hearings here.)

Vigo County Public Library Main Branch: 1 Library Square (7th & Poplar), Terre Haute, IN 47807 

In honor of books, a delightfully cheesy rendition of the Princess Bride theme song...

MP3: Mark Knopfler - Storybook Story (Buy)

No comments: